- 2002.4-2006.3.24: Undergraduate School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kyoto University
- 2006.4.2-2008.3.24: Master's course, Graduate School of Information Science, Nara Institute of Science and Technology (NAIST)
- 2008.4.2-2011.3.31: Doctorate course, Graduate School of Information Science, Nara Institute of Science and Technology (NAIST)
- 2006.3.24: Bachelor of Engineering (Kyoto University)
Thesis title: "Event-driven Control and Its Representation ---Towards a Motion Learning of Multi-DOF Robot in Dynamic Environment---"
- 2008.3.24: Master of Engineering (Nara Institute of Science and Technology)
Thesis title: "Reinforcement Learning with Reusing Mechanism of Avoidance Actions and its Application to Learning Whole-Body Motions of Multi-Link Robot"
- 2011.3.31: Doctor of Engineering (Nara Institute of Science and Technology)
Thesis title: "Highly Modularized Learning System for Behavior Acquisition of Functional Robots"
- 2010.2.1-2010.3.31: Researcher, Computational Neuroscience Laboratories, Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International (ATR)
- 2010.4.1-2011.3.31: JSPS Research Fellow (DC2)
- 2011.4.1-2011.7.31: JSPS Research Fellow (PD)
- 2011.8.1-2015.3.31: Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Information Science, Nara Institute of Science and Technology
- 2012.9.16-2013.3.15: Part-time lecturer, Osaka Electro-Communication University
- 2013.9.16-2014.3.15: Part-time lecturer, Osaka Electro-Communication University
- 2014.4.14-2015.4.14: Visiting Scholar, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University
- 2015.4.1-2016.3.31: Postdoctoral Researcher (part time), Graduate School of Information Science, Nara Institute of Science and Technology
- 2015.4.20-2017.8.31: Postdoctoral Fellow, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University
- 2016.9.1-2016.10.31: Visiting Scientist, Institute for Artificial Intelligence, University of Bremen
- 2017.9.1-Present: Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Information Sciences, Tohoku University
- 2006.4-2008.3: Computational Neuroscience Laboratories, Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International (ATR)
NAIST: Nara Institute of Science and Technology
- NAIST/Master's course:
- 2008-2010: Yoshiyuki Takeuchi (Total: 1)
- 2010-2012: Emarc Magtanong, Shiori Sato (Total: 2, International: 1, Women: 1)
- 2011-2013: Gustavo Alfonso Garcia Ricardez, Satoki Tsuichihara (Total: 2, International: 1)
- 2012-2014: Masahiro Oshita, Takuya Akamoto, Takuya Nakayama (Total: 3)
- NAIST/Doctoral course:
- 2013-2016: Gustavo Alfonso Garcia Ricardez (Total: 1, International: 1)
- 2013: Phawat Lertariyasakchai (2 months) (Total: 1, International: 1)
NAIST: Nara Institute of Science and Technology, O.E.C.U.: Osaka Electro-Communication University, CMU: Carnegie Mellon University
- Advanced Robot Design (NAIST): 2011, 2012, 2013
- Introduction to Advanced Robot Technology (NAIST): 2012, 2013
- Advanced Robot Development I (NAIST): 2012
- Advanced Robot Development II (NAIST): 2012
- Advanced Robot Development I (NAIST): 2013
- Advanced Robot Development II (NAIST): 2013
- Studio of Advanced IT (NAIST): 2012, 2013
- Computer Hardware (O.E.C.U.): 2012, 2013
- Computer Interface (O.E.C.U.): 2012
- 16-264: Humanoids (CMU): 2016
- The Robotics Society of Japan
- The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers (IEICE)
- 2010.5.15: The 30th NAIST Science School: Robo-Dojo! (lecturer)
- 2010.7.10: The 32th NAIST Science School: Robo-Dojo!! (lecturer)
- 2013: Program committee of SSRR 2013, the IEEE Symposium on Safety, Security and Rescue Robotics
- 2015: Program committee of RSS 2015, Robotics: Science and Systems Conference
- 2017: Guest Editor of Advanced Robotics for "Special Issue on Advanced Manipulation"
- 2017: Associate Editor of Humanoids 2017
- May, 2009
2009 IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Japan Chapter Young Award
for "Constructing Action Set from Basis Functions for Reinforcement Learning of Robot Control" (ICRA2009).
- March, 2011
NAIST Best Student Award
- December, 2011
RT Middleware Contest 2011 Incentive Award (Global Standard Award)
for Gustavo Alfonso Garcia Ricardez, Satoki Tsuichihara, Atsutoshi Ikeda, Akihiko Yamaguchi, Jun Takamatsu, and Tsukasa Ogasawara:
"RT Component for analyzing a motion script to implement a service using the Humanoid Robot HRP-4" (SI2011).
- February, 2016
Excellent Paper Award
for Gustavo Alfonso Garcia Ricardez, Akihiko Yamaguchi, Jun Takamatsu, and Tsukasa Ogasawara:
"Human Safety Index based on Impact Severity and Human Behavior Estimation" (ICMRE 2016).
- November, 2017
Mike Stilman Award in IEEE Humanoids 2017
for Akihiko Yamaguchi and Christopher G. Atkeson: "Implementing Tactile Behaviors Using FingerVision" (Humanoids2017).
- Feb 2, 2014:
DCOB: Action space for reinforcement learning of high DoF robots
, Advances in Engineering.
- Jul 5, 2017:
Fingervision is robot skin made from cheap, off-the-shelf components
- Jul 5, 2017:
- Jul 5, 2017:
- Jul 5, 2017:
- Jul 6, 2017:
Fingervision's 3D printed grippers and silicone skin give robots a sense of touch
- Oct 10, 2017:
Accelerating AI Research for Robots with FingerVision - Assistant Professor Akihiko Yamaguchi of Tohoku University
, Academist Journal.
- 2010.4-2012.3: Grant-in-Aid for JSPS, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Fellows
- 2014.1-2015.3: Artificial Intelligence Research Promotion Foundation of Japan
- 2014.3-2016.3: Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) from Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
- Project theme: "A novel safety index with a human behavior estimation for robot safety"
- Project ID: 26730137
- 2017.8-2020.7: Robust Intelligence, National Robotics Initiative, NSF
- Co-PI (PI: Christopher Atkeson)
- Project theme: "Optical Skin For Robots: Tactile Sensing and Whole Body Vision"
- Project ID: 1717066
- Professional level: C++, Python
- Others: PHP, Bash, Prolog, etc.
- Most of my work is implemented with C++ and Python.
- Open source reinforcement learning library SkyAI.
- Japanese: Native language
- English: Fluent in reading, writing, and speaking
last updated at Sep. 1, 2017.